This is great fun and always a challenge. I call this ‘Name Art’ when I illustrate around a name. My design is based on information from name, birth date, and a list of activities and/or favorite things. Some examples is the Snowdrop; flower of the month, Cypress Tree; the tree of the month in Celtic tradition and Great Horned Owl; bird of the month all for month of January.
I often find more then one representation or symbol in the wealth of traditions, folklore and myths for a given month. This adds to Name Art uniqueness especially with the addition of personal attributes as in cup of Chia Tea, Vegan Ice Cream and a Spring Roll. When I finish a name I include a key to the drawing in a slip cover so it can be attached to the back for safe keeping when framed.
- Casey – Irish surname; Vigilant
- Shannon – River Shannon;longest river in Ireland
- Aquarius – January Zodiac Sign; Water Bearer, Pours the water of knowledge to quench the thirst of the world
- Zodiac Symbol
- Element – Air: Suggested by the swirling steam of the tea
- Fixed Quality – The rooted Cypress Tree
- Ruling Planet – Uranus
- Birth Stone – Garnet
- Flower of Month – Snowdrop
- Tree of the Month – Cypress tree from Celtic tradition
- Bird of the Month – Great Horned Owl from Native American tradition
- Chinese Calendar – Year of the Dog: Dutiful Dog; Family dog guarding her vegan ice-cream
- Full Moon – January moon is the Wolf Moon; Native American tradition
- Constellation Aquarius : Best seen during the month of October around 9:00 pm.
- Animal Totem – Otter: Native American tradition
These are the personal characteristics : Chia Tea, Spring Roll, Music, Like No Udder Ice Cream, Animal Rights, Cats and Kittens, Poetry, Martha Vineyard on metal bracelet.